How lucky are we to live in the Berkshires! There are so many wonderful qualities about this area that you cannot find anywhere else! However, we also have ticks, fleas and mosquitos!!
We recommend year-round prevention for fleas, ticks and mosquitos! One of the perks of living in the Berkshires is the fact that we can have all 4 seasons in one day! But what that also means is fleas, ticks and mosquitos can be out even in the winter months! It is the safest thing for your pet and family to keep them on prevention year-round to keep unwanted visitors from living on your pet!
We have both oral and topical options for all preventatives. If your pet didn’t do well on one form of prevention, we can recommend another! Our staff is well educated on the different types so feel free to ask questions!
Don’t forget, you aren’t just protecting your pets from fleas and ticks, you are protecting yourself and your family members! Ticks carry diseases that cause numerous issues in both animals and humans! Some of these diseases can be severely debilitating or life threatening. Pets can’t tell us when they feel a creepy crawly, so using these preventatives to stop the problem quickly is the safest option for the whole family!
We do always recommend you purchase your preventative medications through our office, or our online pharmacy, available right on our website and easy to navigate! The reason for this is we guarantee our products come directly from the manufacture, which means they will stand by their product if there is ever a reaction. When you purchase pet medications through other online websites, there is no guarantee that they aren’t counterfeit, even if they look the same! You can also qualify for additional discounts through the hospital when you purchase supplies through us! Please feel free to ask us questions!
- Fleas can jump up to 7” high
- One female flea can lay up to 50 eggs per day!
- One flea can bite your pet 400 times a day!
- When treating your pet for fleas you must treat your pet, your house, and sometimes your yard! Prevention is definitely easier!
- Fleas only spend about 20% of their time on your pet, the rest of the time they are wondering around your house!
- Fleas can transmit tapeworms if ingested by your pet while they are grooming themselves.
- Winter doesn’t kill fleas! They can survive a freezing temperature.
- Fleas can account for more than half of dermatological conditions in animals. If a pet is hypersensitive it can cause intense itching and irritation.
- Ticks can live 200 days without food or water
- Winter DOES NOT kill ticks.
- One female tick can lay thousands of eggs
- There are several types of diseases that fleas carry and can transmit both to dogs and humans.
- Tick larva can be almost impossible to see.
- Ticks need to be attached for about 24 hours in order to transmit diseases.
- Heartworms are transmitted to pets via mosquitos.
- Heartworms can live in cats for 2-3 year without being noticed, and can live in dogs for 5-7 years. During that time, they are causing terrible damage to the heart and surrounding vessels.
- 1 in 74 dogs in the United States tests positive for heartworm disease.
- Heartworms can grow up to 16 inches in length.
- It takes about 6 months after being infected with heartworm to show a positive test.